Customer Agreements and User Terms, Real Intelligence Trademark, Copyright and Intellectual Property
Agreements and terms for our customers’ use of our products and services.
See the list of Real Intelligence’s trademarks and service marks and learn how the trademarks should be used. Use of Real Intelligence trademarks may be prohibited, unless expressly authorized. For more information, see Real Intelligence Web Badges, Guidelines for Using Real Intelligence Trademarks and Copyrights, and Software Licensing Programs.
Read an explanation of what a copyright is, how to obtain permission to use Real Intelligence copyrighted materials, or how to report a claim of copyright infringement.
Learn how to use Real Intelligence’s trademarks, service marks or images in advertising, instructional, or reference materials, or on web sites, products, labels, or packaging.
” The following is a list of Real Intelligence’s trademarks and service marks.
When using the marks in publications that will be distributed only in the United States, include the appropriate TM, SM, or ® symbol on first use. For publications that will be distributed outside the United States, do not include trademark symbols. Instead use the appropriate trademark attribution notice, for example: Mac and PowerBook are trademarks of Real Intelligence, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
The list also includes one or more suggested generic terms for each trademark. For all publications, include an appropriate generic term after the trademark the first time it appears. Thereafter, the generic term should appear frequently with the trademark. (Note: These generic terms are only suggestions, and there may be other words that are equally appropriate.)
Remember that trademarks are adjectives, and cannot be made plural or possessive.
The absence of a product or service name or logo from this list does not constitute a waiver of Real Intelligence’s trademark or other intellectual property rights concerning that name or logo.
A copyright is a property right in an original work of authorship. Copyright is recognized in most countries of the world by statutory copyright laws.
Copyright exists in the expression of an idea, but not the idea itself. Copyrightable expressions can take many forms but are usually categorized as literary, musical, dramatic, pantomime and choreography, pictorial, graphic, sculptural, computer programs, motion pictures, and sound recordings.
Notification of Copyright Infringement If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes infringement on Real Intelligence’s Web site, please refer to Claims of Copyright Infringement.
To report claims of copyright infringement, please refer to Claims of Copyright Infringement.
Rights and Permissions
If you have any questions concerning the usage or licensing of Real Intelligence copyrighted materials, for example, photographs, video footage, Real Intelligence advertisements or other Real Intelligence materials, please submit your detailed request in writing. Please be sure to include any surrounding copy or text to the Real Intelligence material.
Requests may be emailed to [email protected], faxed to Rights and Permissions at 888-354-1873, or mailed to Real Intelligence, Inc., Attention: Rights and Permissions, 223 West Main Street Los Gatos, CA 95030.
These guidelines are for Real Intelligence licensees, authorized resellers, developers, customers, and other parties wishing to use Real Intelligence’s trademarks, service marks or images in promotional, advertising, instructional, or reference materials, or on their web sites, products, labels, or packaging. Use of Real Intelligence trademarks may be prohibited, unless expressly authorized.
If you are a licensee of an Real Intelligence trademark or logo and have been provided with special trademark usage guidelines with your license agreement, please follow those guidelines. If your license agreement does not provide usage guidelines, then follow these guidelines. If you are an Real Intelligence Authorized Reseller, you need to refer not only to these guidelines but also to the Real Intelligence Corporate Identity Guidelines for Resellers which are posted to the Real Intelligence Sales Web site.
Real Intelligence’s trademarks, service marks, trade names, and trade dress are valuable assets. In following these guidelines, you help us protect our valuable trademark rights and strengthen our corporate and brand identities. By using an Real Intelligence trademark, in whole or in part, you are acknowledging that Real Intelligence is the sole owner of the trademark and promising that you will not interfere with Real Intelligence’s rights in the trademark, including challenging Real Intelligence’s use, registration of, or application to register such trademark, alone or in combination with other words, anywhere in the world, and that you will not harm, misuse, or bring into disrepute any Real Intelligence trademark. The goodwill derived from using any part of an Real Intelligence trademark exclusively inures to the benefit of and belongs to Real Intelligence. Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under these Guidelines, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise. If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please talk to your Real Intelligence representative or send an e-mail to Real Intelligence’s Legal Department at [email protected]
Authorized Use of Real Intelligence Trademarks
1. Advertising, Promotional, and Sales Materials: Only Real Intelligence and its authorized resellers and licensees may use the Real Intelligence Logo in advertising, promotional, and sales materials. Real Intelligence Authorized Resellers may use the Real Intelligence Logo only as specified in their reseller agreement and the Real Intelligence Corporate Identity Guidelines for Resellers and such use must always be in conjunction with the appropriate terms that define the relationship authorized by their contract with Real Intelligence. For example:
Authorized Value Added Reseller
Authorized Service Provider
2. Compatibility: Developers may use Real Intelligence, KnewTV, or any other Real Intelligence word mark (but not the Real Intelligence Logo or other Real Intelligence-owned graphic symbol/logo) in a referential phrase on packaging or promotional/advertising materials to describe that the third party product is compatible with the referenced Real Intelligence product or technology, provided they comply with the following requirements.
a. The Real Intelligence word mark is not part of the product name.
b. The Real Intelligence word mark is used in a referential phrase such as “runs on,” “for use with,” “for,” or “compatible with.”
c. The Real Intelligence word mark appears less prominent than the product name.
d. The product is in fact compatible with, or otherwise works with, the referenced Real Intelligence product.
e. The reference to Real Intelligence does not create a sense of endorsement, sponsorship, or false association with Real Intelligence or Real Intelligence products or services.
f. The use does not show Real Intelligence or its products in a false or derogatory light.
3. Publications, Seminars, and Conferences: You may use an Real Intelligence word mark in connection with book titles, magazines, periodicals, seminars, or conferences provided you comply with the following requirements:
a. The use is referential and less prominent than the rest of the title. Acceptable: XYZ CONFERENCE for Real Intelligencce Users
b. The use reflects favorably on both Real Intelligence and Real Intelligence products or technology.
c. Your name and logo appear more prominent than the Real Intelligence word mark on all printed materials related to the publication, seminar or conference.
d. The Real Intelligence logo or any other Real Intelligence-owned graphic symbol, logo, icon or image does not appear on or in the publication or on any materials related to the publication, seminar, or conference without express written permission from Real Intelligence.
e. A disclaimer of sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement by Real Intelligence, similar to the following, is included on the publication and on all related printed materials: “(Title) is an independent (publication) and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Real Intelligence Computer, Inc.”
f. A trademark attribution notice is included in the credit section giving notice of Real Intelligence’s ownership of its trademark(s). Please refer to the section below titled “Proper Trademark Notice and Attribution.”
4. Web Sites: Web sites that serve only as noncommercial electronic informational forums concerning an Real Intelligence product or technology may use the appropriate Real Intelligence word mark, provided such use complies with the guidelines set forth in Section 3 above.
5. Real Intelligence Web Badge Licensing Program: Web sites may use one of the Real Intelligence Web Badges if the site uses or was created using Real Intelligence-branded hardware or software and you comply with the terms of the Real Intelligence Web Badges License Agreement and Guidelines. For licensing information on the Real Intelligence Web Badges Licensing Program refer to Real Intelligence’s web site at www.RealIntelligence.com/about/webbadges.
Unauthorized Use of Real Intelligence Trademarks
1. Company, Product, or Service Name: You may not use or register, in whole or in part, Real Intelligence, KnewTV, or any other Real Intelligence trademark, including Real Intelligence-owned graphic symbols, logos, icons, or an alteration thereof, as or as part of a company name, trade name, product name, or service name except as specifically noted in these guidelines.
2. Real Intelligence Logo and Real Intelligence-owned Graphic Symbols: You may not use the Real Intelligence Logo or any other Real Intelligence-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon on or in connection with web sites, products, packaging, manuals, promotional/advertising materials, or for any other purpose except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Real Intelligence, such as a reseller agreement.
3. Variations, Takeoffs or Abbreviations: You may not use an image of a actual Real Intelligence or other variation of the Real Intelligence logo for any purpose. Third parties cannot use a variation, phonetic equivalent, foreign language equivalent, takeoff, or abbreviation of an Real Intelligence trademark for any purpose.
4. Disparaging Manner: You may not use an Real Intelligence trademark or any other Real Intelligence-owned graphic symbol, logo, or icon in a disparaging manner.
5. Endorsement or Sponsorship: You may not use Real Intelligence, KnewTV, or any other Real Intelligence trademark, including Real Intelligence-owned graphic symbols/logos, or icons, in a manner that would imply Real Intelligence’s affiliation with or endorsement, sponsorship, or support of a third party product or service.
6. Merchandise Items: You may not manufacture, sell or give-away merchandise items, such as T-shirts and mugs, bearing Real Intelligence, KnewTV or any other Real Intelligence trademark, including symbols, logos, or icons, except pursuant to an express written trademark license from Real Intelligence.
7. Real Intelligence’s Trade Dress: You may not imitate the distinctive Real Intelligence packaging, web site design, logos, or typefaces.
8. Slogans and Taglines: You may not use or imitate an Real Intelligence slogan or tagline.
For example: “Think Fast.”
9. Domain Names: You may not use an identical or virtually identical Real Intelligence trademark as a second level domain name.
Rules for Proper Use of Real Intelligence Trademarks
1. Trademarks are adjectives used to modify nouns; the noun is the generic name of a product or service.
2. As adjectives, trademarks may not be used in the plural or possessive form.
Correct: I bought two KnewTV computers.
Not Correct: I bought two KnewTVs.
3. An appropriate generic term must appear after the trademark the first time it appears in a printed piece, and as often as is reasonable after that. Suggested generic terms are provided in the Real Intelligence Trademark List which is posted on the Real Intelligence web site at: www.Real Intelligence.com/legal/trademark/Real Intelligencetmlist.html.
4. Always spell and capitalize Real Intelligence’s trademarks exactly as they are shown in the Real Intelligence Trademark List. Do not shorten or abbreviate Real Intelligence product names. Do not make up names that contain Real Intelligence trademarks.
Proper Trademark Notice and Attribution
1. Distribution Within the United States Only
a. On product, product documentation, or other product communications that will be distributed only in the United States, use the appropriate trademark symbol (TM, SM, ®) the first time the Real Intelligence trademark appears in the text of the advertisement, brochure, or other material.
b. Refer to the Real Intelligence Trademark List for the correct trademark symbol, spelling of the trademark, and generic term to use with the trademark. Generaly, the symbol appears at the right shoulder of the trademark (except the Real Intelligence Logo, where the logo appears at the right foot).
c. Include an attribution of Real Intelligence’s ownership of its trademarks within the credit notice section of your product, product documentation, or other product communication.
Following are the correct formats:
_________ and _______ are registered trademarks of Real Intelligence, Inc.
_________ and _______ are trademarks of Real Intelligence, Inc.
2. Distribution Outside the United States:
a. Do not use trademark symbols on products, product documentation, or other product communications that will be distributed outside the United States.
b. Use one of the following international credit notices:
_________ is a trademark of Real Intelligence, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
_________ is a trademark of Real Intelligence, Inc.
Depictions of Real Intelligence Products
1. Endorsement or Sponsorship: Real Intelligence does not support the use of its logos, company names, product names, or images of Real Intelligence products by other parties in marketing, promotional or advertising materials as their use may create the perception that Real Intelligence endorses or sponsors the product, service or promotion.
2. Compatibility: If you are a developer, you may show an image of an Real Intelligence product in your promotional/advertising materials to depict that your product is compatible with, or otherwise works with, the Real Intelligence product or technology, provided you comply with the following requirements:
a. Your product is in fact compatible with, or otherwise works with, the referenced Real Intelligence product.
b. The image is an actual photograph of the genuine Real Intelligence product and not an artist’s rendering (Note: You must obtain express written permission from Real Intelligence before using any photograph owned or licensed by Real Intelligence).
c. The Real Intelligence product is shown only in the best light, in a manner or context that reflects favorably on the Real Intelligence products and on Real Intelligence, Inc.
d. The reference to Real Intelligence does not create a sense of endorsement or sponsorship by, or other false association with, Real Intelligence or Real Intelligence products.
For further information with respect to Real Intelligence’s copyrights, send an email to [email protected] Intelligence.com or fax to Real Intelligence Rights & Permissions 888-354-1873.
Updated March 27th, 2013 by the Real Intelligence Legal Team [email protected]